[Chicago] Sympy for Python 3 ???

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Tue Sep 29 02:37:20 CEST 2015

Hey guys,

I was wondering how to use numpy, scipy, matplotlib and sympy within the
IDLE environment.  So I did some Google searching and found the following
to be quite helpful.

*sudo apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy python-matplotlib
python-sympy*

Any Python environment on my Ubuntu laptop can then access these modules.
However, the above modules are for Python 2.X.

For Python 3 the following can be used in Terminal:

*sudo apt-get install python3-numpy python3-scipy python3-matplotlib *

However, the above Terminal command will return an error if you include*
python3-sympy*.  This leads me to believe that Ubuntu's repositories do not
yet contain the Python 3 version of the sympy module.  Does anyone know if
sympy can be installed on Python 3.X?  Just wondering.  Sympy is actually a
very cool module!!!  It allows many of the same manipulations as found in
Maple and Mathematica.  Quite nice!!!

Also, does anyone know about the efficiency and speed of the algorithms in
numpy and scipy?  Aren't those algorithms based on C and Fortran
extensions?  So I'm guessing that numpy and scipy allows numerical
processing just as fast as anything that can be done with C or Fortran,
right?

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Best,

Douglas Lewit

P.S.  Almost forgot.... is there a Mac OS-X equivalent to the useful Ubuntu
command:
sudo apt-get install ..... and
sudo apt-get remove .....  Also, one last question about Ubuntu.  Does
Ubuntu have something equivalent to Apple's iTunes?  ( iTunes is great!  I
love it! )  Thanks.