[Chicago] teaching intro programming to geoscience undergrads, via swc list

Randy Baxley randy7771026 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 17:39:01 CEST 2015

Here, here, I am old enough that most coders today look like mokeys trying
to type out Hamlet.  My first program was on cards, then I did my Freshman
chemistry lab equations on a Singer terminal with a TSO type interface and
not knowing what computer I was on before moving on to write many large
scale system with my arms folded.  I used Mathematica in the 80s and
recently began to work throw Ng's ML class in Python which has been a pain
due to not knowing Linux as well as I need to so taking a Linux class.
PyHou had a lightning talk on Conda and discussions after with folks on the
relation between PyCharm, Python and Anaconda as well as a better
understanding of Linux may eventually get me to where I want to be.  We
will not be diverse until we can all not need to worry about diversity or
see diversity as something achieved by inserting x percentiage of any type
of diversity.