[Chicago] teaching intro programming to geoscience undergrads, via swc list

Jeremy McMillan jeremy.mcmillan at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:16:45 CEST 2015

I think there is a yin and yang to programming, and I really hate when
people disparage one side of it because they feel like they've been
neglected on the other. Let me tell you what my practical bread and butter
is: *guessing* what the Big-O is for some pathologically broken opaquely
complicated software+hardware construct after it's caused pain and
suffering. Say what you will, but being able to get the meat and potatoes
stuff on the same plate with the bread and butter is what qualifies a good
programmer for a lucrative six figure hands on leadership role.

So, while I think we need to meet people where they are at, which is why
Software Carpentry is generating so much excitement, the goal is to get
everyone to the point where they understand how to learn
algorithms/architectures, evaluate their Big-O cost, choose the best (or at
least good enough) combination for their problem, and get it done, skipping
the traditional "oh crap it totally fails under production load" failure
mode.