[Chicago] Looking forward to this evening's event.

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Thu Mar 19 18:48:43 CET 2015

Hey there fellow Python addicts,

Well this is my first in-person Pythonistas meeting!  I'm looking forward
to meeting the other Chicagoland Python enthusiasts.  I've played around
with Python for a while, but haven't gotten too deeply into it.... at least
not yet!  Maybe some of you could point me in the right direction so that
in a couple of years I'll be the world's greatest Python developer!!!!  :-)

On a more practical note, I'll be parking my car at Loyola University
(north side of Chicago, near Devon & Sheridan) and then taking the red line
and brown line trains to McCormick Place.  (I'm a big chicken about parking
in downtown Chicago. )  It would be great if someone could drive me back
north after our meeting is over.  Is anyone going that way?  My cell # is
773-567-8999.  Just send a text message if I don't answer.  Please let me
know.  Thanks!!!!

Hey Sheila.... how come Braintree at McCormick Place?  How about choosing a
place on the north side of Chicago?!  Was that a big enough hint?  ;-)

Take care and I'm looking forward to the meeting this evening.

Best,

Douglas.

P.S.  My final group project in my computational biology class is on
*phylogenetic
analysis*.  (We use a lot of Python in that course to implement various
string-manipulation algorithms to analyze various combinations of "A", "T",
"C", "G".... you know, the genetic nucleotide bases. )  I haven't got a
clue about phylogenetic analysis!!!!  If anyone out there in Python land
can point me in the right direction, THANK YOU!  The instructions for the
assignment were rather vague and open-ended, just write a paper and give an
oral presentation on the subject.  However, phylogenetic analysis is a HUGE
topic that can be approached from many angles, so I'm not quite sure what
my professor expects.  When spring break is over I'll have to ask her and
get a few more details regarding her expectations.  The Python part of the
course is really fun!  The biology part of the course is just downright
painful!!!!