[Chicago] Fun in learning ML

Ryan Nelson rnelsonchem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 03:37:03 CET 2015

Sorry to be a little late to the party here. Just now looking at this.

For scientific Python packages (Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Statsmodels, etc.),
I've had very good luck using "conda" to create test environments and to
install all of a packages dependencies. These environments are like
virtualenvs, and they can be installed without admin privileges in a
directory of your choice without affecting system-installed libraries. The
Anaconda installer contains all the packages (probably more than you need),
or use Miniconda to get a minimal environment. Using conda, you could
create a Statsmodels/Pandas environment (called "stats") with all the
dependencies as such:

$ conda create -n stats python=3 statsmodels pandas
$ source activate stats
stats>$ # Do stuff
stats>$ source deactivate

I don't use PyCharm, but with conda, you can install Spyder. Otherwise,
there is documentation for using other IDEs including PyCharm:
http://docs.continuum.io/anaconda/ide_integration.html

Anaconda Download: http://continuum.io/downloads
Miniconda Download: http://conda.pydata.org/miniconda.html
Conda Docs: http://conda.pydata.org/docs/index.html