[Chicago] Hour of Code for young people aged 5-10 this Sunday (yes their parents can come)

Tanya Schlusser tanya at tickel.net
Tue Dec 8 22:25:22 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

We still have spots open for the Hour of Code event ChiPy is co-sponsoring
as part of Computer  <https://csedweek.org/>
Science Education Week <https://csedweek.org/>.

Young people 5 - 10 years old are invited to Northwestern's Robert H. Lurie
Medical Research Center to do an Hour of Code and meet some programmers in
our community this Sunday! This is a joint event held with PyLadies,
Northwestern Information Technology, and Northwestern's Programming for
Biologists club.

Link: bit.ly/chipy-hourofcode

We will have continental breakfast, a panel of local programmers, and an
Hour of Code activity. We hope you can make it -- but register soon since
there are only 13 spots left. It is going to be so awesome!

If you haven't seen these Hour of Code tutorials you've got to try them on
your own:
http://code.org/learn - computer science education has really changed :-) !

----

On a side note, the volunteer response for this was amazing -- it shows how
much ChiPy cares about its community -- I didn't even have to announce a
request to the mailing list because more people than we needed volunteered
immediately after it was announced.

Anybody who has other ideas on ways we can provide volunteer opportunities
for this community is welcome to email me directly (or to reply to the
group of course!) and I'm happy to brainstorm.

Best,
Tanya