[Chicago] Quick Poll: what editor or IDE do you use?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 20:05:12 CEST 2014

I'm just a lurker here, actually Python User Group is more home (where I
live) but I was born in Chicago, so hey.

Got to Detroit recently... Toledo...

Anyway, as a Python mentor for O'Reilly, we start them in a browser tool
(custom) then graduate 'em to Eclipse + PyDev on a remote desktop in
Illinois someplace, a more realistic simulation and time to use a real IDE
(could be anything good, but Eclipse is low cost as in free and highly
customizable by our staff guy in Carson City).

Then on my end I use PyCharm i.e. if I want to run student code on my local
platform, which in theory I don't have to do, but in practice I do quite a
bit.

We teach Python 3.4.  Our PyDev is a bit old but works fine so the upgrade
is not front burner right now given stringent prioritization (we're small
inside the company, so it's not like anyone gets to reinvent wheels already
out there -- so great the open source ecosystem is so rich with goodies
already).

Kirby