[Chicago] Director of Outreach to be named shortly

Brian Ray brianhray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 15:41:48 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> I don't volunteer for chipy because of the decision making process.
> Perhaps other people feel the same way. We won't know unless we discuss the
> decision making process.

There is no major decision to be made here. The choices are:

A) I delegate the work to everyone -- which does not work well because due
to the nature of the tasks we need a point person and that still makes me
the point person.

B) I delegate the work to the one qualified volunteer.  (There was actually
two, but the other one is out of the country for at least months)

C)  I continue to do it myself.

I pick B.

If anyone has any possible disagreements with that choice, please speak up
by the end of the day today.  The volunteer has already kindly set aside
some of her time to do work this weekend. I really don't want to pull her
off the task because it is monumentally important and something that is the
groups best interest. I have two other tasks for this person next week that
includes entertaining a conversation with a professor who revealed to me
they use Python extensively and where we need to figure out how to get them
looped into the group. He may benefit from a flyer to post to the
department cork-board. I simply do not have time next week to entertain
that conversation. I don't know what he needs. Frankly, I am embarrassed to
point his students to this list because of the recent conversations.

Sheila, you actually do volunteer a lot. I don't know what you are talking
about. I actually really appreciate the work you and Carl put into the
group. I will try to be transparent so you feel included in the
conversation; however, lengthy discussions on the mailing list is just not
the way I usually do business. I do try to keep moving things forward and
pick up the balls when they get dropped.  Ad hominem tu quoque.

Brian