[Chicago] aaronsw memorial hackathon documentation

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Jan 23 16:40:23 CET 2013

Hi chipy,

I'd like for us to organize a little more in advance than we normally do
for the Feb 14 meeting.

First, I'd like to know what the format will be:
* all talks
* mixed format of talks and hacking

I'd like the latter if possible.

I have a gist where I've collected ideas for a hacknight.

https://gist.github.com/4596404

I might have some more organized assistance for open science related
projects due to another mailing list I'm on.

Specifically, a member on that list is with Mendeley and can provide
guidance on open source projects that use their APIs. I've sent him an
email about some of the repos in their github account to check which
projects might have more need of hacking than others. hopefully they'll
have a chance to get back with me on that. I have an ACK already.

Projects and talks touching on open government and transparency would also
be appropriate, and many of you are involved in these types of projects.
I'd ask that someone steps up to talk about this and/or plan a hacking
component. I know a couple of people who would be great for this. I'm going
to ask if they have time for it.

An open science and open gov themed night could also result in sustained
activity. Meaning, some projects we could select for this have ongoing and
*local* development. We might not make big changesets in one night but some
projects have weekly or monthly hacknights around Chicago.

thanks