[Chicago] Group members, Python compententcy levels

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:42:59 CET 2013

That might be useful. I'm pretty good with python, but didn't get there
through math and sciences routes.

My history with self-ranking in business has been that it tends to reverse
the desired effect: see "Dunning-Kruger effect"

OTOH, if the point is to state how much background you have with a topic,
how comfortable you are with it, and how interested you are in doing
more... that sounds good.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Randy Baxley <randy7771026 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Not sure I spelled that right but I could not get spell check to complain.
>  I also did not want to hi-jack the other thread.  Those who have been to
> office hours with me know I am just a basic learner but I am also beginning
> to see some real power can be harnessed quickly.
>
> http://matplotlib.org/examples/mplot3d/scatter3d_demo.html
>
> I will need to go to the Django gathering to stay on track with my
> attempts to get a culture feel groups but I also have an interest in being
> a flunky for any sprints or hacks that I can attend especially with the 311
> or other open.gov projects until I can see and get useful in the tools
> like the one above and IPython or something like it.  The eventual
> usefulness in a general since is also important to me in projects I work on.
>
> I wonder if there is a tool for asking people to self rate in various
> categories like level of math, physics and other disciplines as well as
> hack qualities and library maintenance qualities and perhaps others.
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Randy Baxley <randy7771026 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > ...end of that thought...  now I actually came back to this thread
>> because I
>> > was going to go look at the archives to see how many new to Python folks
>> > come through ChiPy and how many are still around.  The depth of talks in
>> > some of these videos is
>>
>> I'm curious about this too. Some friends and I did two beginning
>> python workshops for women and friends, based on what the Boston user
>> group did, <
>> http://pyvideo.org/video/719/diversity-in-practice-how-the-boston-python-user
>> >.
>> We've only done two so far. I think I've seen a few new people from
>> the workshops at some of the chipys, and I'm hoping to see more as
>> time goes on.
>>
>> I haven't been attending the NERP monday meetings regularly, only a
>> few. Maybe some people who attend that group will also attend some
>> chipys due to interest in python and raspberry pi.
>>

>> --
>> sheila

Tim Ottinger, Sr. Consultant, Industrial Logic
http://www.industriallogic.com/
http://agileinaflash.com/
http://agileotter.blogspot.com/