[Chicago] Introduce Yourself

Tal Liron tal.liron at threecrickets.com
Tue Oct 2 02:49:44 CEST 2012

I'm Tal. I own my own little consultancy named Three Crickets, which
does free software specializing in high-scalability data services, and
have created various free software projects based around Jython and
CPython. My main work these days is on the Three Crickets stack, which
will soon include a very exciting new addition that I'm excited to
present to ChiPy.

I've presented at ChiPy on topics as diverse as writing RESTful web
services, packaging Python applications for Debian/Ubuntu, and GObject
introspection with Python (and Vala). I don't come to meetings often
enough, but luckily when I do they just happen to be the best meetings
ever.

I love Python-the-language, with its culture of keeping things
straightforward and explicable (unfortunately not always followed).
Python is the perfect tool for just getting shit done, if you pardon my
French. I'm not, however, a fan of CPython-the-platform, and think it's
crazy that people deploy production web services of it. (I'm a JVM
advocate through and through, though I don't love Java-the-language.) I
also think the lack of a coherent repository format for Python (egg
links on PyPI are a disaster) is unfortunate. Take the good with the
bad, innit.