[Chicago] Python 3.2

Corey Gaffney ctgaff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:25:44 CET 2011

The last few years with Python have been a bit frustrating.  They have snuck quite a bit of 3.x upgrades in 2.7 as a test bed and have broken backward compatibility with many applications.    A lot of projects are recommending to stick with 2.6.  For example, Dabo (which I have experienced first hand, will NOT work with 2.7)  I wouldn't touch 3.x with a ten foot poll right now in production.

IMO, stable python is 2.6.x.   I would stick with this until 3.x is not constantly changing and they merge (if ever) Unladen Swallow changes into 3.x.

On the flip side, all of these change are a LOT better than a dying language.  So as long as you know where to park your production code it should all be good.

Remember to resist the temptation to be bleeding edge, or you will bleed...

Just my 2 cents.