[Chicago] Looking for leased server colocation (OT)

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:19:21 CEST 2010

I use RapidVPS and Webfaction and haven't had problems with either.

But -- I find it is often very hard to get small business clients to trust everything they have to entirely virtual servers.
They want some degree of physical control.

We know that their data is probably much safer in the cloud, but it is very hard to convince some clients of this.

My compromise is usually a hybrid -- a local physical server backed up with a mirror in the cloud --
setup so that it can mutate into a cloud server backed-up on a local physical server.

I have considered co-location several times myself, but it seems to me that it has the DISADVANTAGES of both approaches --
i.e. -- You are responsible for backup's, hackers, hardware maintenance and upgrades, but you don't have easy physical access to your machine.
On this plus side, co-location gives you security, UPS, fire protection and a fast network connection -- but you get all of that with the cloud too.

There are also legal issues to consider when using the cloud, but small business clients usually don't usually have time or patience to deal with that.

-Rob