[Chicago] encrypting 5gb files?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sat Nov 29 07:16:50 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:40:39PM -0500, drunkenbatman wrote:
> Well, I actually meant stashing a copy *locally* and feeding it into the
> script/program/etc so as to avoid the prompt *while encrypting*, not
> sending it out along with the data -- but again if one needed that

Heh.  That's a little different.

> Although in all honesty I somehow had it in my head that the person
> needed a quick & fast way to encrypt their stuff before dumping it on
> E3, and missed that it was the python list, which I blame on lack of
> coffee, but still made my message pretty silly, if not quite as silly as
> you implied. :) Apologies.

I was so taken by the idea of making it easy for the recipient by
sending the key in a file that I... not ran, exactly, hobbled, let's
call it, with that image.  And once the blind safecracker popped into
mind, well, I wasn't thinking about the original context at all, at
all.  :-)

Was this the E3 thread?  I thought that was on the luni list, but
there've been a couple encryption-related discussions just lately...

--
...and of course you must be careful not to overwrite the bounds of
memory blocks, free a memory block twice, forget to free a memory block,