[Chicago] encrypting 5gb files?

drunkenbatman lists at drunkenblog.com
Sat Nov 29 04:40:39 CET 2008

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 05:23:50PM -0500, drunkenbatman wrote:
>> GPG as part of your workflow is just as easy (encrypt out with your
>> key), but if sending something to someone and don't want to have to
>> explain private/public keys and such, I just use OpenSSL, eg:
>> You'll have to deal with a password prompt, and while you could stash a
>> password file and include it for convenience at that point probably
>> better to look at using GPG... HIH
>
> Well, yes, since attaching the password file is very like painting the
> combination on the outside of the door of a safe...
>
> ...which may protect against some threat, though I can't offhand think
> of a non-silly one that fits.  I mean, sure, a blind safecracker, but
> what about his sighted assitant who helps him get to and from the room
> with the safe in?  Silly.

Well, I actually meant stashing a copy *locally* and feeding it into the
script/program/etc so as to avoid the prompt *while encrypting*, not
sending it out along with the data -- but again if one needed that
automation it was probably best to start looking at setting up gpg and
encrypting stuff going out with your own public key.

Although in all honesty I somehow had it in my head that the person
needed a quick & fast way to encrypt their stuff before dumping it on
E3, and missed that it was the python list, which I blame on lack of
coffee, but still made my message pretty silly, if not quite as silly as
you implied. :) Apologies.