[Chicago] Tradeoffs (was: Acceptable transit times?)

sheila miguez shekay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:49:44 CET 2006

On 12/7/06, Ted Pollari <tcp at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> The only time I was in the city limits of Dallas was on the way to/
> from the airport (the actual hotel is in Addison)  While that's not a
> great thing on the face of it, it's good for community building and
> getting people to meet one another.

If a suburban hotel is chosen, you might consider organizing some
outings for people. I think the tcl conference held in Naperville this
past October did that.

Having a conference all in one place is really convenient. I agree
with Ted on the community building. At other conferences/cons I've
been to, I've chosen to stay in the hotel even when it was in a
suburban location (I live on the north side). A lot of activity goes
on after hours and having things in one place facilitates that.

At the tcl conference they have wine BOFs where they've rented a
larger room and people have brought wine (the con chair probably seeds
it, I could ask) (but the attendes from Australia like to bring their
own) (and cheese too) and then hang out and discuss various topics,
like game design and such.

I guess this could be facilitated for a distributed
conference--brainstorming: does anyone here have a house near any of
the city-proposed sites? You could organize a gathering place there,
provide transportation for out of towners.

--
sheila