[CentralOH] [Monthly Meeting] Recap of March 2020 meeting

Damien Calloway damiencalloway at fastmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:30:36 EDT 2020

Hello all !

This evening Guy Royse gave us a nice presentation on using bloom
filters in Redis - very helpful for data analysis.

https://automatetheboringstuff.com - useful for getting a running start
on this (and in sharing with Pythonistas in general)

https://github.com/guyroyse/data-structures - this is where the talk can
be found

https://github.com/guyroyse/understanding-probabilistic-data-structures

We learned how to analyse UFO sighting reports with the bloom filter,
and with Python. We also learned that Mulder and Scully’s boss was
Assistant Director Walter Skinner

Interesting tangent - Mash: fast genome and metagenome distance
estimation using
MinHash
https://genomebiology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13059-016-0997-x

We also adjourned to discuss Pink Floyd, elasticsearch, and paw paws. I
will have a video posted soon

- Damien Calloway