[CentralOH] Python on Ubuntu Question

Thomas Winningham winningham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:35:42 CET 2011

I can add some things:

1. I would use synaptic and/or apt-get or aptitude to install any python
package if it exists in your repositories. Those builds are marked
correctly for dependencies and generally work. It is not terrible however
to use easy_install for packages, even if they exist in the repositories,
the only caveats I can think of is that you may have to install further
-dev packages to support compilation, or the dependencies will not be
tracked as well. With many packages, your only option is easy_install, but
things like scipy or numpy seem to work better using the distro packages.
Often, I for whatever ill-advised reason, like to get the latest whatever
by downloading the package and running its setup.py ... and this causes
issues if it needs something newer than what my distro offers, so I have
then go hunt all of that down and install it to, and I probably should've
just used easy_install in that case.

2. I don't know about IDEs... I use GEdit for everything, and I don't know
your needs. I've used Codeweavers and Eclipse and they have all the bells
and whistles, even if it takes a while to setup and normalize to what you
want to do. I do like nosetests and nosed and have that run the tests when
I hit save in GEdit.

3. I used stackless once for an ssh project, and it seemed to do what I
wanted at the time. For the most part I personally am fine with traditional
threads, and I can live with the interpreter lock. That being said, I've
been really amazed with the multiprocessing module or setting up a message
queue to dispatch events and report back to the queue and the whole
consumer / producer model. I think stackless might have less of an
importance lately due to pypy, multiprocessing, and the whole message
queuing structures I've seen lately, but hopefully someone else can comment
on that, I don't do it every day.

thanks, and best of luck,

Thomas