[CentralOH] Python on Ubuntu Question

James -- Atlantix james at atlantixeng.com
Wed Nov 30 19:19:15 CET 2011

Hello Folks; I am doing some work with Python 2.7 on Ubuntu these days, and
since this is my first foray from Windows into Linux in some time, I have
some general questions. My Unix graduate school daze still remain with me,
so I am okay with general setup. Maybe some of you could provide  your
thoughts. The first question is would you install setuptools and use
easy_install OR would you tend to use the Synaptic package manager within
Ubuntu . . . i.e.

Sudo apt-get install python-dev python-setuptools

Sudo easy_install scipy
Sudo easy_install numpy
Sudo easy_install matplotlib

Or use the Ubuntu tools.

The second question is with regards to the development environment on
Ubuntu, is there something better than Wing IDE that is native to Linux that
is not in Windows?

The third question is has anyone run stackless python in Ubuntu? What are
your thoughts?

Thanks,

James