[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Thu Feb 28 13:56:08 CET 2013

On 28-02-13 10:43, holger krekel wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:38 +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:
>>
>> I give a shit at the arguments pulled out every time by package
>> maintainers using PyPI only for listing their packages. I am both
>> annoyed and bothered by these people.
>
> I didn't see such positions from package maintainers here.  In fact
> i haven't seen anyone stepping up saying listing packages externally
> is a great idea.  Could you point to those posts?

The position Andreas probably means is projects that *do* advertise
themselves on pypi, but don't put their files there.

I have seen that position in this discussion ("I have to upload 120
files per release, so I won't do that", for instance).

Some arguments might be valid, but these projects *are*, taken as one
group, actively breaking pip and buildout regularly.

So I agree with Andreas. I don't really care about "the arguments pulled
out every time". Effectively actively breaking pip and buildout is bad,
period.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/