[Catalog-sig] Deprecate External Links

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Feb 28 10:43:43 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 06:38 +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:

> +1 for the proposal
>
> The complete discussion on this topic is once again absurd and bizarre.
> We are discussing the issue with externally hosted packages every year
> and the situation has not improved. Especially people using "buildout"
> encounter very regulary issues with external site being down - with the
> result that we can not install or update our installation.
>
> I give a shit at the arguments pulled out every time by package
> maintainers using PyPI only for listing their packages. I am both
> annoyed and bothered by these people.

I didn't see such positions from package maintainers here.  In fact
i haven't seen anyone stepping up saying listing packages externally
is a great idea.  Could you point to those posts?

However, I have seen concerns about breaking many people's and
companies processes and thus thoughts on how to do a good transition.
I guess you don't want to communicate to package-users the way
you do above to package maintainers.

best,
holger