[Catalog-sig] Wheel format now supported

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 17 20:37:46 CEST 2012

On 17.08.2012 20:17, Daniel Greenfeld wrote:
> Martin, Daniel,
>
> Will Wheel work with non-patched pip?

I can't say - I just added it because
a) Michele Lacchia requested that I do, and
b) I cannot see anything wrong with it.

Personally, I'm much in dislike of any non-platform distribution
format - be they called eggs, gems, wheels, or whatnot. As a PyPI
maintainer, I get requests to add new formats every year or two
years. At this rate, it seems harmless - only time will decide
whether it's useful.

I guess in a few years, we can evaluate how often people upload
these, and decide whether it would be better to remove the support
again. Perhaps they have replaced eggs, perhaps not.