[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Wed Apr 6 02:10:10 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Sorry, no, I don't. I hear a loud message, but not a clear one
> (i.e. I think it comes from a vocal minority)

I've given you loads of data including usage statistics, anecdotal
data, user polling on Twitter (and I could add a link to Reddit now,
but why bother). You've heard from dozens of people who're very
invested in our community that this feature makes us look bad.

You've countered it with a single user who likes the feature and
claims of support in private email.

Neither of us can prove we're speaking for a larger community. You
have root so you get to rule by fiat, and I'm going to accept it and
shut up, but don't you dare accuse me of representing a vocal minority
when you're representing an even smaller one.

This entire process leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. I hope you'll
seriously consider what sort of message this governance model sends to
the community. It leaves me absolutely unsure that PyPI represents my
needs as a Python user.

Jacob