[Catalog-sig] egg_info in PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Sep 20 20:47:59 CEST 2010

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Some high-level meta comments on this thread:
>
> 1. I broke one of my own rules. I should have asked: what problem is
>    the proposed change intended to solve?  That way, even if the
>    proposal wasn't right, people could have suggested better
>    alternatives. :) My bad.
>
> 2. I'm pretty sure that the people who suggested making egg_info
>    available didn't intend to slap anyone in the face or run afoul of
>    current efforts. :)
>
>    (Again, it would have been better to state the
>    problem being solved and then request input on the proposed
>    solution.)

I think the main problem that's been discussed over and over
again in recent years is the problem of reading package
meta-data without actually downloading the packages.

IMHO, most of this has been resolved by means of the XML-RPC
interface via the .release_data() method:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc

If there's something missing, we should add it there.

Additionally, it would make sense to have this data around
as static file for the PyPI mirrors to pick up. I suggested
adding package PKG-INFO files to the package pages available
on the /simple index for that, but other solutions may be better.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 20 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/