[Catalog-sig] PyPI down again...

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 12 00:38:25 CEST 2010

>> If you are willing to invest *a lot* of time, then it seems that rewriting
>> PyPI in Django would make a lot of people happy
>
> -1
>
> PyPI code is evolving. I've added with the help of Mathieu PEP 345 support,
> and we have more stuff coming up.

I can understand why you are opposed: for the same reason I don't want
to lead such a project. We both have invested time into the PyPI code
base, and I disagree with all the complaints I heard about it being
incomprehensible.

The fact remains that people continue to consider the code
incomprehensible, and that those very people claimed that they would
prefer if some other web framework was used, specifically Django.
I know Richard Jones is also in favor of a rewrite in Django.

I can also understand that Zope fans might be upset by the prospect of
having to use Django; to those, I'd say "get over it".

> I think we need to make a difference here between the development of
> the PyPI codebase and the sysadmin work

Most definitely.