[Catalog-sig] PyPI down again...

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 23:07:03 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Is it possible it's time to designate a team?  I'm sure everyone
>> appreciates the hard work of a lone volunteer, but having been one
>> myself at times, the feeling that others may not do the job right is
>> often eclipsed by their availability to try.
>
> Help is certainly appreciated. The type of help depends on the volunteer, of
> course. E.g. I wouldn't want to give root accounts to
> the first person that comes along and asks for them (except when the first
> person is Jannis Leidel, who (I believe) did the Apache restart
> today).
>
>> What's up with this years-old PEP for expanding the PyPI
>> infrastructure?  Are there resources, relationships, volunteers
>> lacking?
>>
>> What can we do to help? :)
>
> If you are willing to invest *a lot* of time, then it seems that rewriting
> PyPI in Django would make a lot of people happy, because
> they claim they can't contribute to the current code base because
> they don't understand that. I don't want to do such a rewrite on
> my own because I *do* understand the code base (despite not having written
> it in the first place, so I think that if you really want
> to contribute, you can learn how it works); it also violates Joel
> Spolsky's principle of never ever doing rewrites.

-1

PyPI code is evolving. I've added with the help of Mathieu PEP 345 support,
and we have more stuff coming up.

Mathieu has also invested quite some time lately to write functional
tests in PyPI
and split the huge web.py module in sevral modules for clarity

I was planning to review it and ask you before I would merge it to trunk.

I think we need to make a difference here between the development of
the PyPI codebase and the sysadmin work

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org