[Catalog-sig] Forced change of the ownership of a package possible?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 10 21:51:43 CEST 2009

> we have case where the maintainer of a PyPI package does not respond
> to requests for adding additional persons as maintainers.
> The original maintainer is no longer on the project and we need to create
> new releases of the related package. As client we have the copyright
> of the code...so is there some chance for becoming the owner of the
> related package on PyPI?

There is a chance, but I would personally like to look at the specific
case.

In the past, we had granted taking over the PyPI entry if, say, the
old PyPI owner was not the actual author of the software, and then
the author showed up, so it was clear that he could have the PyPI
entry as well.

If, however, you plan to take over the project from the previous author,
I don't think that PyPI should support such hijacking. It might be
better to fork the project with a different name.