[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 13 18:02:33 CEST 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 11:14 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> Right. So the question is, how can we keep the mirror up to date? :)
>
> I think there is no efficient way to provide perfect synchronization
> (not without putting too much load on the central server again).

Well, if there mirrors were known, then the primary could notify
them.  Of course, that would make them more complex.  Of course
polling has its complexities too.

> If slight propagationdelays are acceptable, it would be possible that
> the central server publishes sequence numbers of each update
> performed,
> and mirrors could check with a single roundtrip what the most current
> sequence number is.

If the updated_releases actually reflected updates, then I think that
would be good enough. Then we could use the UTC second as  the
sequence number. :)

> Then it is the mirror's choice how much it can age; checking every
> minute would be reasonable IMO for most purposes;

Yup

> users that want
> to see their just-uploaded stuff then would either need to wait
> that minute, or go to the master site, or fetch the sequence
> number of the master site and compare it with the one of the mirror
> they use.

Yup

>> I'll look at the source (location hints welcome) and update that
>> page.
>
> See
>
> http://svn.python.org/view/trunk/pypi/rpc.py?
> rev=433&root=packages&view=markup