[Catalog-sig] PEP 314: latest draft

Wed, 7 May 2003 11:02:00 -0400

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 05:14:05PM -0700, Kevin Turner wrote:
>Since License is not optional, it might be good to retain it explicitly
>in the interface.  Otherwise you either end up distributing packages

Not optional within the PKG-INFO data format, but it can be omitted in
a setup.py in which case the License field will just get 'UNKNOWN'.

>of Classifiers for required elements.  The documentation for Classifiers
>becomes more complicated as well, "multiple use but must include at
>least one of ..."

True.  On the other hand, I don't know if PyPI looks at the license
field and treats it as equivalent to "License :: whatever" so that
searches by license work.  (Similar question for Platform...)

To my mind, having both classifiers and separate fields violates TOOWTDI.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
Grinding oppression of the masses is the only policy that pays dividends.
      -- The Collector, in "The Sunmakers"

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm--