[Catalog-sig] UI for managing catalog

Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:28:37 -0500

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 10:36:32AM -0800, Amos Latteier wrote:
>Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Is this added complexity (for us) worth having?
>I think so. In fact I already have rough code to do exactly this. It
>downloads a distutils package, extracts the setup.py and parses it.

And the hard part of this is processing the setup.py safely, not the
downloading, which is just a matter of using urllib.urlopen().

Amos, is this essentially the same code as discussed in the
distutils-sig some months, or have you made lots of changes to it?

>  python setup.py catalog_dist

Yes!  And this is an example of the catalog producing a change in the
Distutils and hence in the standard library... though if it misses the
deadline for 2.1, no big deal.

--amk