[Catalog-sig] UI for managing catalog

Amos Latteier amos@digicool.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:36:32 -0800

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > 2) Submit a URL from which the distribution can be downloaded.  A
> > script will then fetch it, extract setup.py, and everything follows as
> > before.
>
> Is this added complexity (for us) worth having?

I think so. In fact I already have rough code to do exactly this. It
downloads a distutils package, extracts the setup.py and parses it.

I'd like to see the distutils meta-data in setup.py used as much as
possible. If simply packing your stuff with distutils gets you into the
catalog easily, then I think this will motivate folks to use it.

In the long run, I'd like to distutils packing tools to be able to
contact the catalog and upload the package. So for example you could use
a distutils command like this

  python setup.py catalog_dist

To build and submit a distribution to the catalog.

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com
Digital Creations     http://www.digicool.com