[Borgbackup] Problem: multiple repos with same ID

Default User hunguponcontent at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 11:43:57 EDT 2023

On Fri, 2023-07-21 at 04:53 +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 22:13:50 -0400
> Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2023-07-21 at 02:51 +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> > > On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:23:52 -0400
> > > Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > wild guess : your USB disks are mounted on /DISK_A and /DISK_B
> > > (or
> > > /whatever/DISK_?) for clarity and discrimination, perhaps even
> > > using
> > > PARTLABEL or LABEL instead of UUID or PARTUUID.

> > > If you don't have a gazillion yottabyte to backup, the fastest
> > > way
> > > to solve this is to recreate a fresh backup from scratch.
> > >
> > > This is often the best solution when something went wrong to
> > > avoid
> > > losing hours or days of researches - there's of course a risk,
> > > but
> > > as far as SMART and dmesg do not show anything bad, it stays
> > > small.
> > >
> > > Jean-Yves
> >

> > Hi, Jean-Yves!
> >
> > The two external usb drives are shown by the "mount" command as:
> > "/dev/sda1 on/ media-[user]/HDD00001"
> > and
> > "/dev/sdb1 on /media/[user]/HDD00002"
>
> Wahoo, up to 0xFFFFF disks, I don't know if the USB will supply
> enough
> current for all of them ;-p)
>
> > Borg info is of course not available for Repository 1, but for
> > Repository 2, it reports:
> >
> >                Original size      Compressed size    Deduplicated
> > size
> > All archives:        2.51 TB              2.37 TB             37.73
> > GB
> >
> >                Unique chunks         Total chunks
> > Chunk index:           54280              2306762
> >
> > df -h shows /home as 30Gb used, 159Gb available.
> > (All data in /home would be in /home/[user]/).
> >
> > So, a fresh backup (or two) would not be trivial, but should be
> > doable.
>
> ? 30 GB on the first backup should be something like 300 minutes.
>
> > But of course this is current data only. It does not include
> > any "historical" data. It would of course only move from this time
> > forward.
>
> Whether it is convenient or not is of course up to your needs.
>
> > Note: I have just been using borg (Vorta) to do daily backups of
> > /home/[user]/, and nothing else.
>
> May be you have hit a bug in this software.
> I use bash scripts and never have had this kind of trouble, but I do
> not make backup copy.
>
> IF you decide for a brand new backup, you might want to :
>
> * put any copy order into a script file (always doing a repetitive
> task
>   manually being a baaad idea, especially if you work when tired) -
> as
>   a matter of fact, any important thing where you could goof (bad
>   source, bad target, bad path, etc) is better written once for all
> in
> [...]

Hi, Jean-Yves!

Thanks for the your suggestions.
I am still pondering what to do.

I am still holding out hope that there is a way to restore Repository 1
from Drive B, to Repository 1 on Drive A.

Or even to restore either Repository 2 from either Drive A or
Repository 2 from Drive B, to Repository 1 on Drive A.

I'm waiting.  Patiently.
:)

BTW, I am curious as to your thinking regarding using one external usb
drive for rsync backups, and the other one for borg backups.
May is ask what is our rationale for that?

And, yes you are correct about the use of bash scripts for doing
backups.

May I add that the script should always be looked at before using it,
to ensure that the script takes into account any changes in what is
being backed up that may make the script inappropriate, until the
script is updated.

Thanks!