[Borgbackup] Problem: multiple repos with same ID

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Thu Jul 20 22:53:05 EDT 2023

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 22:13:50 -0400
Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2023-07-21 at 02:51 +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:23:52 -0400
> > Default User <hunguponcontent at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > wild guess : your USB disks are mounted on /DISK_A and /DISK_B (or
> > /whatever/DISK_?) for clarity and discrimination, perhaps even using
> > PARTLABEL or LABEL instead of UUID or PARTUUID.
> >
> > > Advice/comments welcome.
> > > But please, "no bully".
> >
> > If you don't have a gazillion yottabyte to backup, the fastest way
> > to solve this is to recreate a fresh backup from scratch.
> >
> > This is often the best solution when something went wrong to avoid
> > losing hours or days of researches - there's of course a risk, but
> > as far as SMART and dmesg do not show anything bad, it stays small.
> >
> > Jean-Yves
>

> Hi, Jean-Yves!
>
> The two external usb drives are shown by the "mount" command as:
> "/dev/sda1 on/ media-[user]/HDD00001"
> and
> "/dev/sdb1 on /media/[user]/HDD00002"

Wahoo, up to 0xFFFFF disks, I don't know if the USB will supply enough
current for all of them ;-p)

> Borg info is of course not available for Repository 1, but for
> Repository 2, it reports:
>
>                Original size      Compressed size    Deduplicated size
> All archives:        2.51 TB              2.37 TB             37.73 GB
>
>                Unique chunks         Total chunks
> Chunk index:           54280              2306762
>
> df -h shows /home as 30Gb used, 159Gb available.
> (All data in /home would be in /home/[user]/).
>
> So, a fresh backup (or two) would not be trivial, but should be
> doable.

? 30 GB on the first backup should be something like 300 minutes.

> But of course this is current data only. It does not include
> any "historical" data. It would of course only move from this time
> forward.

Whether it is convenient or not is of course up to your needs.

> Note: I have just been using borg (Vorta) to do daily backups of
> /home/[user]/, and nothing else.

May be you have hit a bug in this software.
I use bash scripts and never have had this kind of trouble, but I do
not make backup copy.

IF you decide for a brand new backup, you might want to :

* put any copy order into a script file (always doing a repetitive task
  manually being a baaad idea, especially if you work when tired) - as
  a matter of fact, any important thing where you could goof (bad
  source, bad target, bad path, etc) is better written once for all in
  a nice (and triple checked) script,

* copy all important data to one of those USB disk (or another) with a
  simple cp or rsync, just in case,

* wipe the other one and use it as your borgbackup repo,

* smoke a rollmops and conquer the (known) world.

Jean-Yves