[Borgbackup] best practices for repo access hardcopy

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Sat Mar 5 10:35:35 EST 2022

On Sat, 05 Mar 2022 15:35:48 +0100
Tamas Papp <tkpapp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I am wondering what others do to back up repository access information
> as hardcopy.
>
> I am using a borgbase remote repository. Currently I print
>
> 1. the borgmatic .yaml file and
> 2. the ssh key
>
> on paper, expecting to retype it in case a disaster happens to
> electronic copies (which I keep on a USB stick).
>
> I thought of
>
> 1. stripping the YAML comments,
>
> 2. making a tar.gz archive of the above,
>
> 3. printing it as a large QR code (with as much redundancy as allowed
> by the limits of QR).
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

I made bash scripts for almost every Borg order I need and embedded all
of that into each script (repo key, password and SSH key) - of course
all belonging to root, *.sh in /usr/local/sbin, with 700 permissions.

These scripts are replicated on a USB stick that stays in my pocket and
kept up to date when modified, the originals too are on this stick
(key file, SSH files and password as a text file, just in case).

The redundancy is enough to my eyes but this is for a house setup, for
a company, this would need 3 USB sticks carried by 3 different people.

Jean-Yves