[Borgbackup] PULL+SSHFS: Avoid CHROOT with --numeric-owner?

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Jul 9 06:27:50 EDT 2021

> So, is the CHROOT-stuff really only needed for that mapping

IIRC yes. Getting the mapping right (having correct names) was the idea.

This affects user/group name of owner/group from stat() and also ACLs.

Meanwhile we found that this attempt might be futile in some setups that
do not exclusively use passwd/group files, but also other sources of
name-id mappings (e.g. ldap).

> serving an additional purpose I simply didn't understand yet? In the
> first case, can CHROOT be skipped entirely by simply creating backups
> using "borg create --numeric-owner [...]"? Things sound easier to
> setup when not needing to care about CHROOT.

Yeah, esp. considering the recently found security implications...

Can you make a PR to change / clarify the docs?

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393