[Borgbackup] Rationale for keeping a copy of the repo key

Jonas Olson jolson at kth.se
Wed May 19 11:40:05 EDT 2021

It is recommended [0] that one stores a copy of the encrypted repo key
in a safe place. Naively, this would seem unnecessary, as it is stored
in the repository and no copy is normally needed. Is the reasoning that,
in case of filesystem corruption, you still have some chance of saving
parts of the backup as long as the key is safe? The documentation
doesn't spell it out, as far as I have been able to see, and I'd like to
make sure I understand it correctly.

Regards,
Jonas Olson

[0] "Make a backup copy of the key file (keyfile mode) or repo config
file (repokey mode) and keep it at a safe place, so you still have the
key in case it gets corrupted or lost. Also keep the passphrase at a
safe place. The backup that is encrypted with that key won’t help you
with that, of course."
<https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/init.html>