[Borgbackup] Borg vs. full/incremental backup

l0f4r0 at tuta.io l0f4r0 at tuta.io
Wed Apr 7 07:47:50 EDT 2021

Hi,

7 avr. 2021, 08:58 de borgbackup at list-post.ddt-consult.de:

> 06.04.21, 14:55 +0200, Felix Schwarz:
>
>> This is what I'm doing:
>> - run "borg check" regularly to detect data corruption
>>
> Yes, I do that on a weekly basis.

Personnally, I do a `check ::borg_archive` after each single hourly backup (on a not-always connected USB drive). I mean I don't decorrelate backup and check.
Since 1 backup+check takes (today) less than 1 hour it's ok but it's gonna be more complicated when it won't be the case anymore. Maybe  I will accept 1 backup every 2 hours, I don't know yet (repo is locked as long as the backup or check is not finished)...

If there is a best practice regarding checking, I will take it as well!

> OK, I think that's what I'm going to do for now. I'll simply set up a
> second repository and make backups to both. That should be enough to
> help against a corrupted data chunk in a single backup target.

Try to put your 2 repos on different disks (different brands/models) and locations as well (in order to protect you against single point of failure - SPOF).

Best regards,
l0f4r0