[Borgbackup] Excludes are ignored

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Tue Dec 15 16:06:29 EST 2020

Hello,

I've got a problem with excluding files in a borg backup. The version is
1.1.14 on Ubuntu Linux (multiple versions).

The command looks like this:

borg create
ssh://user@your-storagebox.de:23/./backup-name::'{now:%Y-%m-%dT%H-%M}'
/mnt/backup_snapshot  --exclude /mnt/backup_snapshot/lost+found
--exclude /mnt/backup_snapshot/tmp --exclude /mnt/backup_snapshot/var/mail

Or this:

borg create
ssh://user@your-storagebox.de:23/./backup-name::'{now:%Y-%m-%dT%H-%M}'
/mnt/backup_snapshot  --exclude lost+found --exclude tmp --exclude var/mail

But all these excluded files are completely /included/ in the backup.
The /mnt/backup_snapshot directory is a LVM snapshot mount directory,
it's a snapshot copy of /.

I've seen the documentation pages about create
<https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/create.html> and
patterns <https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/help.html>,
but the patterns text is too much internal-dev talk for me, I don't know
many of the words you use there.

So in plain English, what should I provide in the --exclude option? An
absolute path to where borg will read the file from? A relative path,
relative to where I tell it to start reading from? Or what?

Using a separate exclude file is not an option for me because all
parameters to borg are specified in a bash script.

-Yves