[Borgbackup] zstd compression

Jasper Knockaert jasper at knockaert.nl
Tue Dec 1 07:02:58 EST 2020

Hi

I was looking at the new zstd compression option. I am now using lzma,6.
I think zstd,19 should deliver a similar compression ratio. So the only
question seems to be if zstd is any faster. That could be the case if it
runs in multithread mode. However, the default for zstd seems to be to
run as a single thread. There seems to be little evidence that
single-threaded zstd compression is any faster than lzma for a similar
compression ratio... (I'm avoiding 20+ modes for zstd as they use a lot
more memory.)

Best

Jasper