[Borgbackup] Determining size of archive

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sun Nov 15 08:01:18 EST 2020

On 11/12/20 4:47 AM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> I need to determine how effective the duplication compression will be on
> a particular data set. According to documentation a dry-run doesn't for
> the duplication or compression. What's the best way to check its
> effectiveness?

By running a real backup with --stats (and maybe also --list).

As already mentioned, you could try to make a representative subset if
your dataset is too large for experiments.

Note: if --dry-run were extended to do all what is needed to compute
dedup statistics, it would be rather expensive already.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393