[Borgbackup] borg prune crashing: AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'items'

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Nov 10 06:27:07 EST 2020

> This is an encrypted repo.

OK, in that case, because we use authenticated encryption, there should
be no undetected corruption until the authentication is finished:

read from repo (storage -> borg -> sshd -> network -> ssh -> borg)
authenticate (hmac-sha256 or blake2b)
decrypt
decompress
unpack msgpacked data (here it crashes for you)

So, because authenticate was successful (otherwise you would have seen
an IntegrityError exception), "valid" data was in memory.

So, if that blows up right afterwards, that means a RAM or CPU data
corruption issue.

Alternatively, the corruption maybe could have also happened at borg
create time after the pack, but before the authentication step:

pack
compress
encrypt
authenticate
write to repo (...)

So, I'ld bet you had / have a RAM issue on your backup client.

memtest86+ results?

>> Did you use borg < 1.1.11 on this repository? If so, did you follow the
>> advisory in the changelog when upgrading to >= 1.1.11?
>
> I'm not sure what the prior version was.  I did a pip upgrade of it to the
> latest before posting here.  Is there a way to see what it was written to with?

Don't think so.

But you could just follow the advisory now, if unsure.

If your repo index is corrupt and points to the wrong place in the
segment files, borg might read invalid data and unpacking that might
also lead to unexpected tuples...

>> What borg version is running on the repository server side?
>
> root at web1:~# ssh <snip>.rsync.net -t  /usr/local/bin/borg1/borg1 -V
> borg1 1.1.14

Good! (i was fearing you use the 0.29 stoneage version)

--
GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393