[Borgbackup] borg prune crashing: AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'items'

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue Nov 10 04:52:17 EST 2020

> The errors are below, and I'm not familiar with the internals of borg to
> understand the error "'tuple' object has no attribute 'items'"

It runs into that while trying to delete an archive from your repo.
To delete it, it reads all item metadata from the archive because it
needs to decrement content data chunk references.

A filesystem item's metadata is represented as a python dictionary, but
in your case there is a tuple (a different data type, which is totally
unexpected).

It could be that the msgpacked data is corrupted (specifically: the byte
indicating the data type to create when unpacking) and then unpack
creates a tuple instead of a dict.

Is this an encrypted (or authenticated) repo or did you use "-e none" to
switch off encryption/authentication?

Did you use borg < 1.1.11 on this repository? If so, did you follow the
advisory in the changelog when upgrading to >= 1.1.11?

What borg version is running on the repository server side?

> and don't believe there's any corruption as it's on ZFS with the backup provider.

Corruption can happen at a lot of places, not just on storage.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393