[Borgbackup] remote config and cache directories

Bilinmek Istemiyor benibilme at gmail.com
Fri May 15 23:09:03 EDT 2020

Hello,

I am using borg 1.1.11 on Manjaro system.

I used to use  mounted remote nfs drives to backup my home directory to my
home server. It was very very slow, and I  have decided to switch to ssh.
Passwordless login has been setup with my labtop and home server.

I have following environment variables setup:

export BORG_BASE_DIR=username at myserver.com:
/pool/backups/users/username/borg/home
export BORG_CACHE_DIR=${BORG_BASE_DIR}/cache
export BORG_CONFIG_DIR=${BORG_BASE_DIR}/config
export BORG_REPO=${BORG_BASE_DIR}/repo

However, everytime I run borg create command, borg creates a deep directory
tree named username at myserver.com following the path as described in the
BORG_BASE_DIR path as follows.

username at myserver.com:
    └── pool        └── backups
            └── users                └── username
                    └── borg
                        └── home
                            ├── cache
                            │   └── CACHEDIR.TAG
                            └── config
└── security
                                    └──
5e0cc1a1aa56bf8d4345721927f63c6ffcc1176054ae69d82bc4e459ded90c24
                                        ├── key-type
                                        ├── location
                                        └── manifest-timestamp

I using borg  with borgmatic generally, and I posted this question to
borgmatic issue tracker, I was informed that it is because of borg, borg
expects config and cache directories to be local.

I have verified this behaviour with borg.

Security is no concern for me,  my repositories are unencrypted, I would
like keep config and cache dirs alongside with the repo. I do not want to
keep borg configuration and cache in my laptop where remote repository is
on remote server.

Isn't it possible to use remote cache and config directories?

Any comment much appreciated.