[Borgbackup] hashindex fopen for reading failed

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Tue May 15 17:22:00 EDT 2018

Hi Marc,

> I recently had a host crash while a borg create was running ("client
> side"), and after rebooting, the borg create won't resume. Obviously,
> one of the cache file is gone, so borg create aborts with
>
> $ time sudo -H borg create --verbose --progress --exclude-from /etc/borgbackup-exclude ssh://borgbackup//media/borgbackup/backup/bor
> g/$(hostname)/system::$(date +%Y%m%d)b /
> hashindex: /root/.cache/borg/cb4113cc184e0481d17fe78f342e855705f9855af8a169100146d98a3628f96a/chunks: fopen for reading failed (No such file or directory)

Yeah, looks like the chunks cache is gone.

Can you please do a:
ls -lR /root/.cache/borg/cb4113cc184e04*

> Borg: 1.0.9

Just saying "there were some bugfix releases after that", but I know
"Debian Stable" policy. Also not sure whether this was somehow improved.

> This repeats when repeated.
>
> How do I get out of this mess and get a backup?

You could kill the local caches at any time, they contain no information
that could not be rebuilt from the repo (in the case of the chunks
index. Or from local fs, in the case of the files cache).

But, for big repos this can take quite a while, so let's first see if
there's a better way.

Is this the same incident that also has corrupted your files cache (you
added a comment under the PR on github recently)?

Cheers, Thomas

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393