[Borgbackup] Good-bye Borg

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 05:58:26 EST 2018

On 02/17/2018 03:32 PM, Marian Beermann wrote:
> On 17.02.2018 02:28, Frank wrote:
>> Sorry about the forwarding. I thought all messages in the mailing list
>> were public. My bad.
>>
>>> PS: you might probably have the same issues with restic, if you have
>>> bit-wise errors in the repository. no error correction there either:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/804
>>
>> A good reason to stick to plain rsync and what could be called
>> a sneakernet metabackup, i.e. a backup of the backup drive every three
>> months to a newer drive that stays safely stored and disconnected the
>> rest of the time.
>>
>> Anyway thanks for the info and good luck!
>>

> The "metabackup" approach should work with most of the "other" backup
> tools as well.
>
> Going where the community is better makes a ton of sense, especially if
> you think you're going to stick around or contribute. People > code.
>
> -Marian
>
> PS: The problem of "what is the worst thing that can happen if I flip a
> single BIT?" affects a lot of software, even file systems; it is quite
> hard to deal with. A much easier-to-fix question is "what is the thing
> that *probably* happens if I flip a single bit?".

If you had a single bit flip, an rsync won't catch it (modulo things
like ZFS etc., which I am not too familiar with), and you may end up
propagating a bad copy.

My solution is to take multiple backups for the really important stuff.

I have 3 cron-ed backups (once an hour to an SD card permanently
inserted in the SD card slot of my laptop, once a day to two different
servers at work if I am in the office and connected) and 3 manual,
approximately once/month, backups (two to external HDs, one to a VPS in
Europe (I live in India)).

I am pretty sure I am the only person I know who is this paranoid.  As
further evidence, I should mention that, when passing through airport
security, I take out the SD card and put it in my pocket.  You know...
just in case someone walks off with the laptop (intentionally or
otherwise) and I am unable to catch him and retrieve it!

regards
sitaram