[Borgbackup] Good-bye Borg

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Sat Feb 17 05:02:34 EST 2018

On 17.02.2018 02:28, Frank wrote:
> Sorry about the forwarding. I thought all messages in the mailing list
> were public. My bad.
>
>> PS: you might probably have the same issues with restic, if you have
>> bit-wise errors in the repository. no error correction there either:
>>
>> https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/804
>
> A good reason to stick to plain rsync and what could be called
> a sneakernet metabackup, i.e. a backup of the backup drive every three
> months to a newer drive that stays safely stored and disconnected the
> rest of the time.
>
> Anyway thanks for the info and good luck!

The "metabackup" approach should work with most of the "other" backup
tools as well.

Going where the community is better makes a ton of sense, especially if
you think you're going to stick around or contribute. People > code.

-Marian

PS: The problem of "what is the worst thing that can happen if I flip a
single BIT?" affects a lot of software, even file systems; it is quite
hard to deal with. A much easier-to-fix question is "what is the thing
that *probably* happens if I flip a single bit?".