[Borgbackup] performance problem

Giuseppe Arvati giuseppe.arvati at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:27:54 EST 2018

Hello,

just to update info about this issue.

I find a workaround.

1) ( 190GB 11:00 hours to backup )

I tried to archive a samba share directly
to a borg archive but was very slow.

I found that samba, for each file managed by borg, log an error message
and this slow down the backup performance

Before I used to take a "snapshot" of samba share with rsync and
I did not have any problem.

http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Failed-to-find-domain-NT-AUTHORITY-td4726039.html

I talked with samba list and they told me that this problem
can depend from my not recommended configuration.
I set up a file server and AD domain controller in the same machine

as workaround I avoided to access the samba share directly from borg
so
2) now ( 190GB 2:20 hours to backup )
   -snapshot of samba share with rsync on externa NAS ( 20mins )
   -from a different machine backup the snapshot to a borg archive ( 2huors)

The problem is solved but I do not understand why when rsync read files
from samba share samba do not log errors and when borg read the same
files samba log errors.

thank you
giuseppe