[Borgbackup] borgbackup 1.1.0 released!

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Sun Oct 8 12:24:16 EDT 2017

> Generally from the release notes it seems like I can continue to use an older
> version (1.0) on the server with a new client (1.1).

Yes.

You might not get all the fixes / new features that way, but it should work.

> Is there any danger to my stored data?

AFAIK: no

> I skimmed over the "Major new features" list and it seems as if I might be
> able to enjoy nearly all of these features just with a new client. Is that
> correct?

Yes, most stuff is done client-side.

> How about the other way round: Using an older borg client while having borg
> 1.1 on the server? (Without special precautions not all of our servers will be
> upgraded at the same time so there will be a period where server+client
> versions don't match.)

AFAIK, that should also work.

If your Linux (or whatever) dist does not yet have 1.1 packaged, you can
always just use the linux (...) binary from the github releases page and
just put it into /usr/local/bin/borg11 or so.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393