[Borgbackup] how to back up 300 million files

Marian Beermann public at enkore.de
Thu May 4 06:59:07 EDT 2017

On 04.05.2017 12:47, Maurice Libes wrote:
> other answer/question from another point of view of a neophyte:
>
> Is borg an appropriate solution in this case of very small files (12kb)
> , since borg will never split the files into chunks?
> so don't we lose the benefit of deduplication ?
> or am I wrong?
> I don't remember what is the limit for a file to be split into chunks

Small files won't be split into chunks, but they will still be
deduplicated. However, only one bit in a file needs to change and borg
will store the whole ~12kb. Whether this is a problem is
application-dependent, i.e. are files actually changed. If files are not
modified, it's not an issue.

Cheers, Marian