[Borgbackup] borg web interface and backup checking

Maurice Libes maurice.libes at osupytheas.fr
Mon Mar 13 13:56:50 EDT 2017

Le 13/03/2017 à 17:47, Felix Schwarz a écrit :
> Am 13.03.2017 um 17:28 schrieb Maurice Libes:
>> So now I have "n" repository for "n" PC and I had a dream in which a web
>> interface
>> was displaying in green the succeeded backup with the "borg info" values
>> and in red if there was some problems
> (...)
>> yes I will have to write some script to gather the informations and send
>> them to me by mail
> To me that sounds an aweful lot like the regular monitoring of a "service"
> which each sysadmin should do.
> As a first step you can ensure that the period borg backup does not output
> anything if successful when run from cron. That way each borg error will cause
> an error email which you will notice.
>
> Of course this relies on having a working email delivery (otherwise your
> "notification" is broken).
>
> A second step is a monitoring agent (e.g. integrated in nagios, icinga, ...)
> to query the date of the latest borg backup.
>
> Monitoring software usually has a "dashboard" with red and green lights.
>
> However relying on the "dashboard" to notify errors is imho not avisable (pull
> vs. push notifications) because it is overlooked far too easily.
yes you're perfectly right, such monitoring tools (icinga, zabbix etc)
can do the job
but in a first approach  I was thinking of a dashboard integrated to
Borg server side,
like the one of backuppc (may be the better functionality of backuppc)
in which you can check the backup of differents host on a single web page

with age old geeks love web interfaces ;-)

but I realize that all the information comes from the client side and
such a dashboard is surely
hard to do on the server side ? (don't know what is kept on server side)

for the moment I just added a trap command which send me a mail in case
of  [ $? -ne 0 ]

trap '[ "$?" -eq 0 ] || send_tosysadmin ' EXIT

send_tosysadmin()

{

  message="[Borg] $hostname : probleme sur sauvegarde Borg du PC $ipadr";

  to_logfile $message

  echo $message | mutt -s "$message" $tosysadmin

}

ML